This 1978 Varian spectra catalog was among the first ones of its kind and probably the first one collected explicitly for an educational purpose: teaching chemists the interpretation of NMR spectra of organic compounds. It therefore does not dwell much on illustrating the performance of the instrument itself (except for a few last pages). Readers are warmly welcome to test their present-day abilities by tackling the many eminently practical exercises presented here. Of course, some of you might become puzzled by the more "advanced" techniques shown towards the end, such as tickling and INDOR. Finding the logical relationships between these and some of the modern 2D experiments is an additional challenge you might wish to face.
Naturally, you will need to mentally discard the "wiggles" in the peaks; an artifact we were so used to at that time that we barely noticed it. Apart from that, it is NMR spectroscopy as usual. The EM360 was a CW (continuous wave) machine based on a 60 MHz permanent magnet. It was enormously successful - the series was in production for over 15 years without any substantial modification. Hundreds of them were sold and untold numbers of NMR spectroscopists started their carriers doing nights at their modest consoles void of any computer.
Second, online Edition:
Extra Byte, Castano Primo, Italy; in Stan's Library, Vol.III, November 2009.
Varian Associates, Palo Alto, California, USA, 1978.
The second, online edition of this collection of NMR spectra has been made freely available by the Publisher
thanks to the courtesy of Varian Inc.
Its use is subject to the following conditions:
* The URL of the document and its DOI link are in the public domain and may be freely distributed.
* The document may be downloaded free of charge for personal or educational use.
* The document may be printed for individual use only.
* Neither the document nor its separate parts may be sold for commercial profit.
* Separate figures (spectra) from the document may be used exclusively for educational purposes.
* Inclusion of figures From the document in other publications is subject to the above restrictions
and permitted only if accompanied by the citation specified below.
Citing this document
When citing this document, use the DOI number and/or the following format:
Varian Associates, EM360/A/L 60 MHz NMR Spectra Set, 2nd Edition, Stan's Library, Vol.III, 2009.
Download and Links
* Full document in PDF (3.6 Mbytes)
* This document's URL
and DOI link